Carrot Halwa popularly known as Gajar Ka Halwa is a classic, rich and decadent, addictive melt in mouth pudding packed with dry fruits and nuts of your choice. A dessert that will not fail to impress anyone.
Cuisine: Asian, Indian, North Indian
- 3 cups Carrots tightly packed (peeled & grated)
- 2 tbsp Butter or Ghee
- 4 tbsp Milk
- 6 tbsp Condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Cashews roasted
- 2 tbsp Almonds roasted
- 2 tbsp Pistachios roasted
- 2 tbsp Raisins
1. In a non-stick pan on medium heat, melt the butter. Add the grated carrots and saute on medium flame till the carrots are tender and cooked, and any extra moisture has dried out. This may take around 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Now add milk and stir till the milk has dried out. This may take about 2 minutes.
3. Next add condensed milk and stir nicely. Add cardamom powder, and dry fruits & nuts of your choice now.
4. Simmer on low flame and stir the halwa till the mixture dries up. Keep stirring them to avoid them burning from the bottom.
5. Carrot Halwa is ready. Serve warm or bring it to room temperature and keep in the refrigerator and serve chill.
• You can dry roast cashews, almonds, pistachios or you can even roast them in butter. But make sure you roast them. This will enhance the taste.
• Use any dry fruits and nuts combination of your choice.
• You can increase the sweetness of halwa by adding sugar at the end if desired. The above recipe sweetness was perfect for my family and I did not add any additional sugar.
• You can add ghee or butter upto 4 tbsp. I generally like to cut down on fat in my recipes.
• This can be stored in the refrigerator for upto 2 weeks.